Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Can Two Sinking Media Ships Combine to Float?

Sirius and XM want to merge and I think it's a good idea. They're both floundering financially despite hype and happy customers the seem to be maxed out. So perhaps a combining of on-air talent will re-energize satellite radio and help it compete with regular radio, CDs, iPods, etc.

I personally haven't invested in either service for a few reasons:

  • I have Rhapsody To Go and really get all the music I want
  • I couldn't choose between the services since each had something I wanted
  • I don't drive all that much and the car really is the only place I'd use it. In fact the only reason I was considering it is because my fiance does drive a bit now, however she's only been lukewarm on the idea
  • I don't want yet another monthly fee
Perhaps combined the service can offer a compelling set of programming that would be hard to resist.

No comments: